Blach!! That's my word for the month. When we moved into this house, we knew that there was going to have to be a LOT of updating in order to get things into the state we wanted them. What we didn't realize is that this house, contrary to the way it looked, HAS been updated which has created a few problems.
So, the goal was one room a month. February was the dining room. It looks great. We got the perfect color red, the light fixture is fantastic and exactly my taste. We're just waiting for the curtains, which are backordered. The goal for the month of March was the downstairs bathroom. It was smelly and ugly, but didn't seem like all that much work. Ha ha. . . BLACH!!
This was the plan. . . Thursday night, rip out the floor and the vanity and take out the toilet. Friday, clean up and put down the new floor. Saturday, put in the new vanity and sink, replace the toilet and change the light fixture.
It went, AMAZINGLY well, despite the 2 layers of linoleum with a layer of luan in between and a vanity that had no side and back. Plus the fact that they had tiled the vanity in place.
The only major issue we ran into was the fact that a stud finder ALSO finds drain pipes. So, as we were putting in the new overjohn cabinet, we drilled the pilot hole right into the drain pipe and we had to open the wall to fix it. UGH! We still need to nail down the quarter round, but really, we're done.
The problems came with the upstairs bathroom.
So, last week, I was having a particularly bad morning and needed some time to do something productive, so, while it isn't on our list any time soon, I decided to pull the peeling yellow, orange and green floral wallpaper down in the master bathroom. Well, in standing on the toilet, I jarred the valve enough to break it. . . UGH. So, we decided to fix it on Saturday. So, while the kids were napping, we cut the pipe and took off the valve. Jason heated the pipe to put the new valve on. It wouldn't fit. Tried EVERYTHING, including heating the valve, NOTHING worked. So, Jason goes to the local hadware store and the guy says to grind the chrome plating off. Did that. Still won't fit. I have a look at it. . . there is NO WAY we're getting this valve to fit on this pipe. So, Jason's spitting nails at this point and I go to the hardware store. We decided that the pipe was the size of a 1/2 in coupler instead of the size of 1/2 in pipe. So, I get a short length of pipe to connect the valve to the pipe. Get that home and the pipe won't fit inside the existing pipe. The thing is like a 9/16 size. So, I feel back on the pipe and find a solder joint. Jason decides to sweat that off and see what the size is behind. Instead of THAT solder joint breaking, the one inside the wall breaks. . . UGH!! So, we have to take the toilet off, and break the mega tiles to get into the wall. Once that's done, 2 solders done and we have a valve again. BUT, oh, I forgot, in order to get the toilet off the base, we had to actually saw through one of the bolts, so we can't put the toilet back on. Monday night, we go to put the toilet back on and once it's in place, we turn the water back on and notice the tank is leaking. In all the moving we've done, we've cracked the tank. . . AARGH!!!! So, I go out and but a new toilet and we put that into place and everything is peachy. . .
But now the faucet is dripping. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Having owned an old home...ours was a wonderful 1920's fixer, I sympathize with your fix. ; )
We gutted the back house and rebuilt, and repaired every room in the front house. The job that is most "blach" to me is trying to take 80 years of paint and wall paper down. After a while it is simply cemented in place. It's easier to put dry wall over the old stuff and paint fresh. I hope your job is easier, and I am sending all the good wish vibes I can your way.
I have determined that I will never do another home repair if I can at all help it.
If it's not one thing, it's another. Don't you just hate that? Good luck with it all. I'm so sorry it's all been so frustrating.
Post a Comment