Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Our New Fridge

So, after we were mostly done with the downstairs bathroom and before we had started on the master bathroom, I was sitting downstairs while the kids were napping and all of a sudden I hear a BZZT!! . . . .BZZT!! WHAT IS THAT!!

I start searching. Check the dryer. . . is the cycle signal going off randomly. . . no. Is it the doorbell on the fritz. . . no. Is it the heater. . . no. It's the fridge!!
Ok, now this fridge is NOT new. We got it with the house. It's at LEAST 20 years old if not closer to 30. Last month we had gone to Sears to get a new one, but once we had picked one out and went to pay for it, something was wrong with the computer system and they couldn't order it. GRR. No big deal, we couldn't have gotten it inside anyway, not with the snow burying the front walk. We figured we'd wait until spring.
Well our waiting had come to an end. . . the fridge was clearly giving it's death rattle. So, I got the kids up, we went to Portsmouth and met Jason right after work and before he went home teaching. We picked out the same fridge at Sears and they went to order it. . . 2 weeks backordered. What if we got it in white. . . same thing. so, we went through and picked out at least 3 different fridges, in all colors, with and without ice makers. Same story each time. We discussed and discussed and decided that, if worst came down to worst, we could always just use the even OLDER fridge in the basement until this one arrived. So, I went home. . . discovered that the fridge wasn't giving it's death rattle, it was dead and twitching. So, I go turn on the fridge downstairs, only to find that it doesn't work. . . AARGH!! Now What?



So, Jason comes home from home teaching (and stopping at Lowes to get the new valve for the toilet upstairs) and we try to figure out what to do. It is no longer winter, we can't use the great outdoor refrigerator. Then I asked Jason if he had seen anything at Lowes that he liked. turns out he did. Turns out, we can order it over the phone!! Turns out, they can deliver it the next morning!! YAY!!!!



So, I'm laying in bed going to sleep and I realize that we have REALLY narrow doors and we ordered a big fridge. . . CRAP!! So, I woke up first thing and did some measurements. Online it says that with the doors off, the fridge is 29 1/8 inches deep. We have a 29 1/2 inch wide kitchen door. . . YAY!!! Oh, I had to take the door to the kitchen off the frame but no biggy.



Then I walked outside and realized that our entire front "walk" is encased in like 2 inches of ice. CRAP!!! I got Jason's axe and spent no less than an hour hacking at the ice and shoveling it out of the way (with Jeremy's help.) It wasn't great, but not terrible when the guys showed up at 11:30. The guy came in, measured the door, measured the fridge and the internet was WRONG!! Does the company not understand that these measurements need to be exact??? AARGH!!



So, we had to bring the fridge up the back. . . More shoveling, and taking the sliding door off the frame. Myar!!



Anyway, they got the thing in and we now have a beautiful, state of the art fridge in a 1974 kitchen. It's kind of funny.

No comments: