So, as my mom puts it, my life and the expectations of what my immediate future holds has COMPLETELY changed since Stacy (my little sister) got married on April 9.
We moved here to NH about 1 1/2 years ago and, while it's taken a bit of adjusting, we REALLY love it here. It's GORGEOUS, we have a nice house, there is a ton to do and we're close to my brother (in Boston), the temple and even a semi major airport. The schools are great, Jeremy and Karin both love their respective schools, and I'm really getting to like my drives to all the shopping, not to mention making some really great friendships.
Well, the day before Stacy got married, Jason got an interesting email from a co-worker, basically saying there were going to be more layoffs. They had just laid off 1/5 of the workforce so we were kind of surprised but not shocked. Working for a company that requires legislation that is NOT coming is kind of hard. Anyway, I freaked out a tiny bit, but then got on with the wedding, because that's a LOT more fun, and besides, Jason's never been laid off, or even threatened to be laid off. Chemical Engineers are necessary for Powerspan's work so we felt pretty safe.
Well, the day Jason went back to work, Siemens (the company he USED to work for) called and, in a rather round about way, told him that they wanted him back and would he like to interview for a job in the Chicago area. Um, yeah, COMPLETELY out of the blue and had it not been for Powerspan's announcement, we would NEVER even consider moving. BUT, they had also said, as part of their announcement that layoffs were coming, that they only had cash on hand to survive until December. That gives you a not-so-comfy feeling, even IF you have a job that is indespensible to the company. So, the interviews began. . . 2-3 over the phone, one in Chicago and it looked like a good Job for Jason. We waited and found out that Jason did NOT lose his job in the layoffs and then waited for an offer from Siemens. When it came, it was better than we had hoped!!
Before Jason accepted the offer, he decided to tell Powerspan. They came back with a counter offer!! HOLY COWS!! I swear to you, I do better when there is no choice. What it all boiled down to, though, is that Jason and I feel like there's MAYBE a 50% chance that Powerspan will make it past December. IF they do, and that's a giant IF, there's no guarantee of how much longer they WILL last, unless environmental legislation passes, which I do NOT see happening any time soon. SOOO. . . we went with the job that is stable. . . In Chicago.
So, what about this baby that's due? When will you move? Are you trying to get there before school starts? What if you have to be out of your house right when the baby's born? AAAA!!! I have NO idea!! The pathway is not at ALL clear, but the destination is Chicago (actually considerablly outside Chicago), back working for Siemens Water Technology. All of the details will be worked out as they come. Our house is on the market and Jason will be working from home until it sells.
I'm just SOO glad that Jason has a job, didn't have to go looking for one, got offered a considerable raise to change jobs and that all this happened so that the transition could take place in the summer, when a house actually has a chance to sell. . .Even if it is stressful while having a baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yikes. Just yikes. Good luck.
Come and see how THOUSAND of individuals like YOU are earning their LIVING online and are fulfilling their dreams TODAY.
GET FREE ACCESS NOW
Post a Comment